Monday, August 07, 2006

Of Meatloaf and Chicken

I had hoped to bring you a very exciting Monday morning edition with glowing reviews of Alton Brown's meatloaf recipe, since I made it last night for Sunday dinner...however it didn't turn out quite right. My hypothesis is that I used meat with such a low fat content that it never held together once it baked. I'm trying to eat healthier, but 96% fat free ground beef doesn't really work for meatloaf.

In addition to it falling apart when I tried to cut it, it never got completely cooked in the middle. I had to resort to cutting it into slices (well, chunks of slices...) and baking it for another ten minutes to make sure the last vestiges of pinky meat were gone before I felt safe serving it. Again, I'm thinking this is because there wasn't enough fat to help the cooking process along whilst the meat was in dense loafy form. Unfortunately low fat cooking doesn't always bring good results without some tweaking.

So the moral of this story is don't use extra lean meat to make meatloaf! Other than these problems, it was very tasty when everything was said and done. It was full of veggies and spices and a really lovely, slightly spicy tomato glaze that was spiked with cumin and honey. I have a feeling it will make fabulous sandwiches either way. I think I need to try it again before I post the recipe. But it may be a while. I only jones for meatloaf about once a year. I can think of about a million other things I'd rather make for dinner on any given night.

Speaking of, here's my favorite easy but fancy dinner recipe. Dinner on the table in about 25 minutes!

Skillet Chicken Parmesan
This is a far healthier version of the classic dish because there is no breading or deep frying-- which also means it's about ten times easier! And trust me, even though it sounds ridiculously simple, it's really, really good.

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 to 2/3 jar spaghetti sauce (Depending on how saucy you like it...I like Classico's tomato and sweet basil, but any kind you like will work)
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella

-In a bowl mix the spaghetti sauce and two tablespoons of parmesan cheese together. Set aside.
-Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper to taste. When oil is hot put chicken breasts in the pan to brown, turning once-about 4 minutes per side.
-When chicken is browned on the outside, turn the heat down to low and pour the spaghetti sauce mixture over the chicken. Cover with a lid. Simmer for about ten minutes total, turning your chicken once during cooking, spooning the sauce over and replacing the lid. Chicken is done when no longer pink in the center.
-Turn the chicken one more time, spoon the sauce over the top of the chicken and turn off the heat. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the chicken and sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of parmesan on top. Cover with the lid again to melt the cheese.
-Serve over cooked pasta if desired (I like angel hair).

Serves 4-6

**************************
Tips to get dinner on the table faster:

I'm a big fan of the way Rachael Ray cooks because she can get so much done in a half hour, but it does take a little planning!
-Start your pasta water first. If you fill the pot with super hot water, put it on the stove and put a lid on it, it will be boiling in no time. By the time you are done browning your chicken you can put in your pasta and it should be done by the time your chicken is finishing up. If it gets done early, drain the pasta, return it to the pan you cooked it in (don't put it back on the burner, though!) and put a lid on it to keep it moist and hot until you're ready to serve it.
-While the chicken and pasta are cooking is an ideal time to steam some vegetables or throw together a salad.
-If your pasta water starts to boil over, turn the heat down just a little (you don't want to slow the boiling too much or your pasta will be gummy) and add a drizzle of olive oil to keep the foamy bubbles down.
-The best way to see if pasta is done? Taste it. :)

3 comments:

Uno Kidney said...

I freaking LOVE this blog. Yum. And I love food....and I love to eat healthy (my mantra of the day to keep me going)...
You rock the serving spoon of life.

Beckle the Freckle said...

Hooray! I'm glad you love it. I feel a bit narcissistic writing all this stuff like "Hey! I know everything about cooking! Listen to me!" So I'm glad someone appreciates it besides me. It makes me feel a lot less silly. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm SO going to try this chicken dish. I'm all about fast and easy meals, and Gary loves marinara sauce, so I bet it will be a hit!

PS - come be my full-time chef, please?