
Today Dana and I made another batch of cookies to make up for the crappy batch we made yesterday, so we turned to our good old Snickerdoodle recipe. Simple, tasty, and addictive as anything you could possibly bake. Plus I've never had a batch of these not turn out perfectly. Don't leave out the cream of tartar because it adds that specific tang that makes these cookies as lovely as they are!
Snickerdoodles
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
-Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
-In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and the white and brown sugars until fluffy.
-Beat in the vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and beat each one into the batter thoroughly.
-In a smaller bowl stir together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt to combine. Pour this mixture into the butter batter and mix well.
-In a small bowl stir together the cinnamon and the sugar.
-Roll the dough in walnut sized balls. Roll one at a time in the cinnamon-sugar mixture and place on and ungreased cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart. (You can sprinkle them with extra cinnamon-sugar if you want to.)
-Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are puffy, crackled and and just starting to brown at the edges. Don't bake over 12 minutes.
-Remove from the oven and let the cookies sit on the pan for one minute before transfering to cooling racks.
Makes about 2 dozen.
*********************
Here are some things to remember if you're baking cookies or have never baked before:
-If the recipe says butter, don't substitute! The butter is crucial to flavor and texture.
-Also, make sure your butter is at room temperature before you attempt to mix it into a cookie dough batter. If your butter is cold right out of the fridge it won't cream with the sugar, so here's what I do: put the butter in your mixing bowl (not metal) and microwave it for ten seconds. Flip the sticks to the opposite side (the microwaves will heat whatever is touching the dish, so it's important to give them a turn so they don't melt on one side) and microwave it for another 7 seconds or so. It's okay if your butter melts a tiny bit, but you don't want a puddle. If it melts too much, put it in the fridge for a few minutes to set back up so your cookies won't be greasy and/or flat.
-Make sure your oven is preheated to the correct temperature and follow the instructions as closely as possible. This will ensure a perfect batch of cookies!
4 comments:
I LOVE your new blog! It is the best. I have to admit that I made these last night for Treat Friday at work for the secretaries. I had a great time making them. I Love you Blog. I have a few questions:
How long does Baking Soda stay good? It seems like I never use it very fast, which maybe means I need to cook more, but should I be changing it out every so often? I have it in my cupboard in the box in a ziplock with the date I opened it on it, but I JUST DON"T KNOW....
Anyhoo, I am looking forward to more receipes and tips. I loved the butter tips, Thanks Man....
I love your new blog too! Its the best thing since sliced bread and since I've always admired your cooking ability I am glad you are sharing!
I think you would hate my cookies: margarine, egg replacer, less sugar, less salt... ;) It's probably good I almost never make cookies!
(P.S. my security word is "unflv," as in "unflavored"? Maybe that's appropriate.)
Hee hee...I think your cookies sound fab if you're a vegatarian. I have a "magic" vegan brownies recipe I should send to you. Although I think they left out the secret ingredient. Dammit.
Post a Comment