Monday, June 22, 2009

Congrats and Finger Wagging


So...I only had one entry. ONE! (My mom's entry doesn't count because she said she was quite happy with the cookies I gave her at the Scottish Festival, even though her story was funny.) Congratulations to Tamee for submitting her awesome weather story and for not running into more trouble than she did in the storm and/or the elusive Bear Lake Monster, who I can only guess is long lost cousins with Nessie or some such. (Although it's quite adorable in this painting by Nathan Stapley...)

So let me know what treat you'd like and I'll deliver it to your cute little house sometime this week! Hurrah!

The rest of you are on notice. I'm so disappointed! :( Something has to have happened to you in the weather! Like the time I was carpooling with my friend to SLCC (back in the day) and it was so cold that her car door was frozen and wouldn't shut, so I had to hold the handle the entire trip down I-215 to keep it from flying open. Or the magical time that me and my BFF RCH walked home from the local dollar movie theater when we were teenagers. It was late at night, the snow was falling lightly and the world was so quiet and the sky was pink-orange. It was amazing. Or the time when I had just left all the world I knew behind to move to Scotland and I got stranded with all my luggage (containing all my worldly possessions, which wasn't much) at the Greenock train station in the pouring rain...reminds me a lot of last saturday, actually. :)

5 comments:

irish said...

david and sheri are still up. did david tell you that he goes walking w/cyndi s. every morning between 6 and 7 am for about an hour. cyndi is getting him into shape for college. she keeps both him and sheri going. this is the spoon site, so i must say something about cooking which i don't do if i can help it. i scramble eggs, make toast and sandwiches and put stuff on the table like fruit and veggies.

irish said...

i am anxious to know what the contest winner chose. i know peach muffins aren't on the list, but that's what i would choose or a chocolate cake w/chocolate icing that i didn't have to bake myself or some ginger cookies. your baking is wonderful. you must have a talented mother--whoever that might be--she must love to bake and passed it on to you.

heidi said...

I'm sorry you are disappointed, Becky...So...here are my late Scottish tales:

A few years ago at the Scottish Festival David and Meagan happened to go into a vendor's tent.
David went up and asked the proprietor, "I'm sure everyone asks you this, but I need to know. What do you really wear under your kilt?"
The proprietor looked at him and said, "I wear what everyone else does."
"What's that?" David asked.
"Socks and shoes, socks and shoes," he answered.
That's what David and Meagan tell everyone now if they happen to ask that question.

Another time, Cameron and I were just sitting down on the bleachers to watch the Highland Games at the Scottish Festival. We happened to sit next to a gentleman with white hair that we didn't know.
"Oh good," I said to Cameron, "It's the sheep toss!" The gentleman next to me leaned over and said, "Actually, it's called the sheaf toss. I should know, I judged the games for years."
I was a bit mortified because the comment was for Cameron, "I know," I told him, "we just call it that to be silly."
The former judge was very nice about it and answered all the questions we cared to ask him about the games, which was very cool - until a couple in front of us heard he was a former judge and totally took over the conversation. For rude... After all that, we still call it the sheep toss sometimes.

heidi said...

I think I know her talented mother. Sheri and I were just talking today about the stuff we liked best that our Mom made when we were growing up. Sheri liked the potato salad. We both liked the chili and homemade bread. I liked the granola. I was telling my kids the other day that when I was little I looked forward to Holly's birthday cake more than I did my own. It was always the same thing: chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and mellowcreme pumpkins on the top. It was yummy!

Janette said...

I know I'm lame! I'm sorry.