Monday, June 01, 2009

Too Busy Drooling to Think of a Title....


This is a recipe for turkey burgers with hidden veggies. Now don't go running away screaming! They're so good that if I tell my 5 year old we're having hamburgers, she'll eat most of a huge one and enjoy it to death. And she generally refuses to eat turkey, carrots or onions. She has no clue that there's anything going on in that burger but unbridled tastiness. I jones for these burgers like nothing else in my repertoire!

If you don't have a grill, now is a good time to become friends with your broiler. Just think of it as an upside down grill! I became fast friends with mine one rainy, rainy winter in Scotland and we've been friends ever since. You can do them in a frying pan, too, but trust me, they're the best on the grill. I'm stamping this recipe with the "So good you won't even need condiments!" seal of approval. But they're extra good with some tomato, pickle and lettuce. Oh man...guess what I'm gonna go have for lunch right now?

Moist Turkey Burgers for the Grill

2 lbs ground turkey
1/2 cup finely shredded carrot (do not squeeze out any moisture from the carrots! Just grate them straight into the mixing bowl)
1 small onion finely chopped (or grated...hides it better from little eyes) ;)
1 tablespoon finely minced garlic, or 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup barbecue sauce (I love Famous Dave's Rich & Sassy)
1/2-1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)

~In a large bowl, mix together the ground turkey with all the ingredients, mixing well to combine.
~If you love garlic, increase fresh garlic to 2 tablespoons.
~Shape mixture into 8 patties (if it's too wet, add more breadcrumbs, too dry, add more barbecue sauce) cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Patties will be easier to handle if they're seperated by a layer of waxed paper.
~You can freeze the patties at the point, too.
~Chill for at least 4 hours to let the flavors blend, up to 24 hours.
~Grill for 4 minutes per side, or until done. Alternately, they can be broiled on a rack or cooked in a frying pan.
~Serve on toasted buns. Enjoy!

5 comments:

heidi said...

I tried to become friends with my broiler a few years back, but David turned off the timer without telling me. I charred whatever it was I was cooking and David won't let me use the broiler now. Maybe I'll have to use it when he's not around to turn off the timer. (Which is like never - he's home more than I am!)

irish said...

as you know, i hate grilled food, but i'll bet you could cook those turkey burgers w/hidden veggies in a frying pan just fine.
your meagan graduation cupcakes were very beautiful, graduation like and yummy. blue velvet cake is very original--something you would think of w/your highly thinking thinking=cap.

anna jo said...

oh, I'll have to try these out on the grill sometime! sounds delish!

anna jo said...

I made the turkey burgers last night and they were absolutely yum! thanks for the recipe :)

Sheri Young said...

So I made it this evening. David didn't even know it was turkey and we all enjoyed them. Of course, I did make some changes solely because breadcrumbs and eggs in a meat mixture do not agree with me. (these are my changes, and I did use a gluten free flour, they turned out faboo!) We're adults, it didn't matter if we saw the veg or not.

2 lbs ground turkey
½ cup shredded carrot
2-3 green onions, chopped
1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
¾ teaspoon black pepper
½ - ¾ cup flour
½ cup barbecue sauce
½ teaspoon chipotle tabasco

I took a picture of mine right out of the oven, but I don't know how to show it on here.

I used a half sheet pan and cooling racks to broil them. I cooked four on one rack on one side, then took the sheet out and put the other rack on the top and flipped the burgers and put it back in. The burgers don't stick so you don't really need to touch them at all.

I did cut through one to make sure it was cooked all the way through, however, you have to remember than turkey doesn't shrink like beef because it's lean, so I made them about the size of an already cooked hamburger and it cooked it through nicely.

I did learn something on the internet that you might want to know about using a broiler. If you want to keep the oven coils glowing red you need to keep the door open about half a foot or they'll turn off when it gets too hot and then it won't 'grill' it.

Also I wouldn't leave it an walk away (like heidi mentioned in her post here). I didn't time it, I checked it every few minutes and when it had a good cooked look to it with a few darker brown spots to it I took them out.

Everyone at the table said they would eat this anytime. Even irish, note her post that she hates grilled food, she ate it and enjoyed it. hehehe. Excellent very, very keepable recipe!