
I am completely and utterly exhausted. More specifically the Highland Games/Scottish Festival completely wore me out. It rained and rained and rained. Sideways rain. Pounding rain. Thundery rain. Squishy shoes rain. Rain that sorted out the real men (and women!). And it was no surprise that real men DO wear kilts. Guess who wimped out first once the rainstorms hit? No lie...the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. The pipe bands? They kept right on piping. They even played Star Wars. Pure dead brilliant.
So as a salute to the Scots and others who are not afraid of a little rain, I am offering up another contest~tasty British Isles treats from my kitchen!
Here's your choices:
Butter Shortbread Fingers
Chocolate Shortbread Fingers
Strawberry Coconut Shortbread Cookies
Double Gingered Molasses Cookies (hands down favorite of everyone at the festival)
Lemon or Lime Curd
Scottish Tablet
English Toffee (with or without chocolate and/or almonds)
Gingerbread Caramel Corn
And I might even throw in a wee Scottish trinket...
So how do you win? Share your favorite rain or weather or Scottish related story with us in the comments and then we'll vote for the winner in a poll. You have from now until midnight on Friday, June 19th. I also would be quite excited if you'd sign up to be a follower if you're not one already...I'm a total narcisist like that. :)
Small Print Type Stuff: Obviously if you live far enough away that I have to mail you your prize, I'm gonna have to say no to sending you things like lemon or lime curd or the strawberry shortbread...probably not safe to eat and too messy! I apologize in advance!
3 comments:
Okay so what can be better than a beautiful RAIN storm especially one that comes with thunder and lightening, I love watching, smelling and just listening to it all! Back when me and hubby were first married, we were spending a beautiful holiday at Bear Lake with the fam. On this particular day we all woke up ready to take out the row boats and spend time on the lake and beach, just soaking up some sun. Yep it all started out just that way.....hubby and me took out the boat with a couple of his younger siblings. Ahhhh it was so fun, rowing, splashing, talking just having a good time. When what to our wondering eyes should appear but a storm of all storms. Never really saw it coming but it came and it came fast. Winds blowing, waves crashing and hubby and me rowing our little hearts out to get back to shore. We just couldn't do it, no matter how hard we tried. Yes we did have on our lifejackets. All of a sudden here comes the water patrol or whatever they are called saving us from sure disaster. We were so grateful to see them, but they were not so happy to see us. They were anything but happy and shared many of those unhappy thoughts with us. How stupid did we feel and I might add LOOKED! But honest we didn't see any storm coming our way. Later after sharing the adventure with my dad he shared many stories of just how dangerous Bear Lake can be in a storm. He grew up in Montpelier, and spent lots of his youth at Bear Lake. He said that storms could really come in fast and stir up the old lake and its secret monster in the bottom! Well there you go my story about the Rain...oh by the way my cute son has always wanted to go to Scotland for his mission since he was just small. I don't know why he wants to go there he has no reason, except he and his dad, my hubby love Bagpipes.He even has a Scottish flag hanging on his bedroom wall. He still has another year of school and then we will see just what happens with that. Thats about it. Thanks for sharing all your fun recipes.
Woohooo! That was a great story! Here I was thinking no one was going to post anything. I have at least 3 or 4 weather related stories I could tell, so I know the rest of you out there in bloggy land have got to have one...come on kids! :D
what a great story 'time to blog it up' sent. i don't need to win the contest because i had some of your wonderful ginger cookies and strawberry shortbread saturday at the scottish festival. i am waiting for your yummy peach muffins--they are my favorite. i'm just writing because i thought of a funny weather story. anyway, there had never been, and as far as i know has never been since that fateful summer day, a tornado in downey, idaho where i grew up. well, about 60 years ago when i was 11 or so, idaho's long time senator, glen taylor, came to downey to give a speech in the park. right in the middle of his speech, this big wind started blowing and this big tornado came and uprooted trees and tore up the town somewhat. all the old guys said something like, "that glen taylor is just an old windbag like all polititians".
Post a Comment