I have been a bit of a slacker lately, but it's mostly due to exhaustion and health issues...so, there you go. I've been a lot stressed out, so I'm required to cut back the baking to manageable levels. I'm also trying to spend more time with my adorable kiddos! So I thought in between the other recipes I haven't had a chance to post yet, and until I'm feeling better, I will try to post a What I Made Today recipe.
Today I made pancakes. It's my favorite basic pancake recipe from a super old-timey Betty Crocker cookbook that my sister picked up at the local second hand shop. It's made from soured milk, which is just milk that you add a little vinegar to...I suspect this is a brilliant fix from back in the depression era or some such when you couldn't always get buttermilk. (Put 1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar in a measuring cup and add enough milk to make one cup. Let stand for 5 minutes.) But if you have buttermilk, that works too.
These are mostly the instructions it came with. I've swapped out the shortening for canola oil. It's a one bowl recipe, so I whisk mine together in a big (4 cup size) glass measuring cup with a spout so I can just pour them on the griddle.
Favorite Pancakes
Beat:
1 egg
Add and Beat Well:
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 and 1/4 cups soured milk or buttermilk
Add and Beat Until
mostly smooth:
1 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
~Cook on a hot griddle (350-375).
~Turn the pancakes when they are puffed and full of bubbles.
~Cook the other side until golden brown.
1 comment:
yeah, we don't need no stinking mixes either! stuff always tastes better if made from scratch. and it's not like it takes hours and hours to mix all the stuff together. mere minutes and you have yourself some tasty batter. :)
Post a Comment