Friday, January 26, 2007

Ala Peanut Butter Sandwiches!


Believe it or not, I think I might have topped the Exalted Peanut Butter Cookie recipe. I found a recipe in Fine Cooking Magazine a few weeks ago that looked positively sinful...peanut butter cookie sandwiches that were generously slathered with peanut butter cream and chocolate chunks. However, the cookie recipe was for crunchy cookies. I don't like crunchy cookies. I thought the filling would be better married to a chewy peanut butter cookie. So after some searching and a bit of recipe tweaking I think I've come up with the perfect, divine combination.

I made a test batch last night to take to work with me and everyone who tried them thought they were magic.

The peanut butter cookie is chewy and light, but buttery and just the slightest bit crispy on the outside. And the peanut butter cream is flecked with tiny chunks of creamy milk chocolate. What's not to love? All you need to add is a tall glass of cold moo juice.

They're insanely easy to make, so whip up a batch for your favorite people and bring on the love. Happy friday everyone!

Peanut Butter Cream Sandwich Cookies

For the Cookies

3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (I like Skippy)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt

For the Peanut Butter Cream

6 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons cold heavy cream
1/2 cup small diced milk chocolate (I like to use a big Hershey's Symphony bar--you'll only need a little more than half the bar) or mini chocolate chips


-Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
-In a large mixing bowl combine sugars, butter, peanut butter, vanilla and egg. Beat well.
-Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the peanut butter mixture and mix until well combined.
-Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls (about the size of a large walnut...a cookie scoop makes this process go much faster) onto an ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Flatten each slightly with your fingers.
-Bake for 9-10 minutes or until edges just start to brown.
-Cool completely on wire racks.
-To make the Peanut Butter Cream put the butter, peanut butter and powdered sugar in a bowl.
-Beat together until smooth.
-Add the heavy cream and beat just until smooth and fluffy.
-Fold in the chocolate.
-Flip your cookies upside down and spread with a generous dollop of peanut butter cream. Top with another cookie to make a sandwich.

Makes 20 sandwiches

No comments: