Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Clearly Not the Craziest

I was starting to think that when it came to cooking, short of being some kind of pastry chef, I was the craziest baker out there. After a short search on the internet the other day I found out that this is not true, and that maybe I have only hit the tip of the iceberg as far as my foodie ways are concerned.

I cant remember where I found this page, but it is all about cupcakes. And not just your everyday cake in a paper with buttercream slathered on top. Nope. This woman is serious about cupcakes. The thing that brought me to her page was the promise of Samoas(tm) cupcakes. If you don't know what Samoas(tm) are then you've clearly never been accosted by a Girl Scout in the spring. They are diabolically evil little cookies that are coated in caramel, sprinkled with toasty coconut and then dipped in chocolate. They are really, really good.

But this recipe was even enough to scare me. Make your own homemade caramel filling and chocolate ganache? Ummm--no thanks. Remember how I'm all about things being fairly achievable on any regular given day? Yeah, this is not going to happen at my house.

There were a few recipes that seemed like they might be doable. I'm really toying with the idea of making the chocolate chai cupcakes or the caramel apple ones--so cute! The pumpkin ones look really amazing. And I love the paper cups she uses so you can do them on a baking sheet instead of muffin tins. Very clever.

I have to admit that I am fascinated and her ideas are as out there as any I've seen. Plus she has gorgeous pictures to show the steps of the cooking process that could turn anyone into a foodaholic.

Still, there is no way I'm ever going to be crazy enough to make cupcakes that take three days to make and are filled with lavendar and honey ice cream.

Curious? Visit Chockylit's Cupcake Bakeshop page for some stunning cupcakery.

I'll invite everyone over when I get around to being brave enough to make the Chocolate Bread Pudding Cupcakes with Toasted Walnuts, Homemade Toffee, and Cream.

No comments: