Friday, January 26, 2007

Apple Cinnamon Goodness

My apologies for not posting this coffee cake recipe sooner. I made so many things this week that it had completely slipped my mind. Ray said a few people had been asking for the recipe and that I must post STAT! :)

This particular recipe is one that is sitting in my recipe file (read: a big pile of papers that sits in a drawer in my kitchen...I really wish I was more organized) scribbled down on the back of an old Comcast bill, so I have no idea where it comes from originally, but I've made it so many times I don't even really need to look at the recipe anymore. It's been used so much it's spotted with vanilla!

This one is easy peasy to throw together that you'll be quite pleased with the wonderfully tasty results. It's a good way to use up apples that are on their last legs. You might even find yourself going out to buy apples just to make it. It's been known to happen at our house.

Apple & Sour Cream Coffee Cake

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
2 cups apples, diced (about 2 large apples)

For the topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, cold

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
-Grease a 9x13 pan or a 10 inch round springform pan.
-Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then blend in vanilla.
-Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a seperate bowl.
-Add the flour mixture and the sour cream alternately to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour.
-Fold in the apples until evenly distributed.
-Spread batter into prepared pan.
-In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon.
-Cut in the cold butter until it is crumbly with a few chunks of butter remaining.
-Sprinkle over the top of the batter evenly.
-Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
-Drizzle with vanilla butter glaze while warm if desired (recipe follows).
-Serve warm.

Vanilla Butter Glaze
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
milk as needed

-Mix together the butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until well blended.
-Add milk as neccessary until desired consistency is reached.

No comments: