Dear Wilton,
You make great cake pans. You make good piping equipment. Your cupcake papers rock my world (although the selection of cute as opposed to cheesy designs is somewhat lacking, but I'm mostly a white paper girl anyhow...)
However, you need to take a giant step back and taste your fondant. It is the most unholy, festering pile of nastiness that I have ever had the displeasure of putting in my mouth. The texture was like chewing gum. The flavor was sugar and several unprounounceable chemicals. My brother knew immediately by the grimace on my face that I had, indeed, as a favor to the people I was making a cake for, tasted the fondant. Because he had been brave and tasted it first...because I had heard, but not believed that Wilton fondant is NOT TO BE EATEN.
Your gum paste is only slightly better, in that you should not really eat gum paste.
In the future I will share the burden of warning people to steer clear of your actual edibles. The real shame is that you're a big company and you're partially responsible for people's big, fat celebrations all over the world! FAIL!
That is all.
5 comments:
Hah! Your review is brilliant.
did you write to wilton and tell them of your concerns? how does ace of cakes get all that fondant. do they make it themselves? bet fancy cupcakes on a cake tier would be lots easier. if kevin can get $2.50 a cupcake and sell lots, they must be very popular.
Cupcakes are all the rage these days! Don't worry, I'm going all cupcake for the graduation fest.
The wilton discussion boards are covered over with people talking about how nasty their fondant is and how to make your own...I think they're aware of the problem, but they just don't care!
I had no idea something Wilton made was that yucky. How strange. Of course, almost all of their pans are aluminium, which I won't use anymore. Not that I do cakes much these days anyway. I told Meagan maybe I'd have to break down and actually decorate a cake once in a while. She was excited. It has been ages, but I still do have most of my cake decorating stuff. Gonna hafta learn to bake gf cakes, I guess. At least frosting's already gf!
You could use glass cake pans, right? I'm going to have to get on top of some gluten free recipes for you. I keep meaning to...one day, I promise! :)
Post a Comment