I just want to mention that I got a special award from my husbands team at work for being the lady that makes tasty treats. Wasn't that nice? I don't even work there! Thanks team! You made my day. :)
Now back to the recipe o' the day!
My momma loves her some pie. And one of my dear friends had just had a baby. And it was Mother's day weekend. So I set about finding a tasty pie recipe...and this recipe for Coconut Buttermilk Pie is what I settled on. It's one of the most fuss free pies I've ever made, so I was skeptical that it could be as good as it looked. But it was spectacular! And this is coming from a girl who doesn't really like pie.
So here is my humble suggestion for another pie you can add to your Thanksgiving rota...I promise it will give pumpkin a run for it's money!
Coconut Buttermilk Pie
1 and 1/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup butter, melted
3 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup sweetened coconut, divided
1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie shell
-Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
-In a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugar and flour.
-Mix in the butter, then the eggs, vanilla, buttermilk and 1/2 cup of the coconut.
-Pour the mixture into the pie shell, sprinkle the remaining coconut on top.
-Bake for one hour or until pie is set (a slight jiggle in the center is okay...it took my pie about 1 hour 5 minutes) and the top is golden brown.
-If your pie crust starts to darken too much, cover the edges with foil and finish baking.
-Cool and serve. Store leftovers--if there are any--in the refrigerator.
8 servings
********************
This recipe works just as well if you double it...and if you're going the frozen pie crust route, you usually get two pie shells so...heck, I'll do the math for you!
Coconut Buttermilk Pie Double Recipe (Two pies!)
2 and 1/2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup butter, melted
6 large eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
1 and 1/2 cups sweetened coconut, divided
2 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie shells
-Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
-In a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugar and flour.
-Mix in the butter, then the eggs, vanilla, buttermilk and 1 cup of the coconut.
-Pour the mixture into the pie shells, sprinkle the remaining coconut (1/4 cup for each pie) on top.
-Bake for one hour or until pie is set (a slight jiggle in the center is okay...it took my pie about 1 hour 5 minutes) and the top is golden brown.
-If your pie crust starts to darken too much, cover the edges with foil and finish baking.
-Cool and serve. Store leftovers--if there are any--in the refrigerator.
16 servings
1 comment:
Do not forget the buttermilk pie for Christmas Eve since you forgot it for Thanksgiving and I have never tasted it--you know I must taste everything.
Post a Comment