Monday, November 13, 2006

Of Soup And Dumplings


My Grandma, Ruby Berniece Hansen Jensen Pratt Gambles (for real!), was a great cook. People used to clamor for her home-made bread which was incredibly good. I always fought for the crusty end pieces. Unfortunately it's one of those recipes that you just know instinctively and don't write down. She tried to show me how to make it once...it was a handful of this and that. Mine turned out incredibly salty. I haven't tried the written version my sister has in her family cookbook, mostly because it makes about ten loaves of bread, but also because I have a bad feeling this is one recipe that has gone to the grave with Grandma. Right along with my Grandma Young's home canned green beans.

My Grandma Ruby (or Cookie Grandma, because she always had cookies for the Grandkids in her fawn shaped cookie jar...see my blog name? That's why.) used to live in my parents basement when we were growing up. On Sunday afternoons when we'd have our big family dinner my Grandma would send one of us up the stairs with her home-made meal contribution (usually Jell-O salad or some such thing) and she'd follow us up, trailing slowly behind.

Her family was originally from Denmark, so we grew up eating cool things like Aebelskivers (pancake balls!) and "Puffy Oven Pancakes" (I believe the proper term is Dutch Baby, but that sounds creepy to me) and my personal favorite, Danish Dumplings.

The first time I had American dumplings, which was some time last year at a Cracker Barrel Restaurant, I remember eating it thinking "What the heck is this...boiled pie crust?!" It was completely NOT a dumpling! It was nasty. Maybe Cracker Barrel dumplings are just gross? I have no idea. To be fair I bet there are lil' old Grannies in the South that can make them just right, but in my heart Danish Dumplings will always be the ones I crave, and they'll always remind me of my Grandma Ruby.

Tonight it's frosty outside and I'll be making chicken soup for dinner. Mostly because I wanted an excuse to have danish dumplings. They are absolute heaven. And if you don't think so, I'll beat you up. :)

Grandma Ruby's Danish Dumplings

1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup flour
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

-In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, heat milk and butter to a boil, then add flour.
-Stir until thick and mixture leaves the sides of the pan and forms a compact mass.
-Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
-When cool add eggs one a time, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in nutmeg and salt.
-Drop by spoonfuls into hot soup and cover for 10-15 minutes.
-Dumplings are done when they have risen to the top and doubled in size.

No comments: