
I remember the first time I made coffee cake for Ray he had a horrified look on his face and said "There isn't any coffee in it...is there?" Poor thing. I guess, for his sake, it is a good thing that I also hate coffee. I think it tastes like burnt water. But for those of you who love a big, steaming cuppa Joe, I suppose (because of the title) this recipe is what coffee exists for.
Whatever way you feel about coffee this is a very good cake, easy to make, and especially nice for a cozy autumn breakfast.
Sour Cream & Apple Coffee Cake
Topping:
1 tablespoon Cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cold butter
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Cake:
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
-In a small bowl stir together the cinnamon, brown and granulated sugar for the topping. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or fork until it resembles sandy crumbs. Stir in pecans if desired. Set aside.
-Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
-Beat in eggs one at a time, then beat in vanilla.
-Add dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in sour cream until fully incorporated.
-Spread half the batter into the bottom of the baking dish. Lay the apples evenly over the top, then sprinkle with half the topping mixture.
-Drop the other half of the batter over the top and spread to cover evenly. Finish by sprinkling the other half of the topping mixture over the top.
-Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Drizzle with vanilla icing glaze if desired. Cool for 30 minutes.
Vanilla Icing Glaze
2 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 to 1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
milk
In a bowl mix the butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add milk to thin a few drops at a time (if needed) to desired consistency. Drizzle over warm cake.
No comments:
Post a Comment